Ransomware is a type of malicious software (malware) that if it comes to your computer or laptop in some way, then it will completely close it. This means that you will no longer be able to use your computer. It mainly encrypts your computer and asks you for money in return.
If you don’t pay them within their stated time then they will either delete your data or increase your ransom money. Recently, there is a lot of sensation among people about what is Ransomware (What is Ransomware in Hindi). This is because on May 12th 2017, the world saw the largest cyberattack in the history of the Internet.
You probably know this thing that there is a Ransomware named WannaCry and which shook the whole world in a few moments. Its main target was Europe and the countries of the West.
So that’s why today I thought why not give complete information to you people about what is ransomware and how it attacks. So what is the delay, let’s know what is Ransomware and how to avoid it.
What is RansomWare ?
Ransomware is a type of sophisticated malware that has been created for a specific purpose. If this malware is loaded in our computer system, then in a few seconds it will encrypt or lock all the files and documents and will also prevent us from running our system.
Even we cannot open our documents or anything important. And if we want to open then we have to type some password which is present with the same ransomware maker and in return for getting which we have to pay some money to him.
As we very few people keep their data backed up. And if this ransomware is loaded then all the documents and data will be gone from our control. Due to which we will suffer a lot. And these kinds of things are always going on, do you know what is going on in your neighborhood.
Mainly this spam comes to our computer or mobile only through links or email.
Types of Ransomware
If seen in the present day, these are mainly of two types. Which these attackers use to fulfill their purpose.
These are a special type of ransomware which has been created using Advanced Encryption Algorithms. It is designed in such a way that it will completely encrypt your machine in no time. And it is almost impossible to open it without the encryption key.
To whom it asks for money, otherwise all your documents will be ruined forever.
For example, CryptoLocker, Locky, CrytpoWall are the main ones.
This type of Ransomware is very dangerous, which locks a user from running his own system. They directly lock the operating system of your computer system. So that you cannot access any apps or other programs.
Files are not encrypted here but attackers demand money to open the computer.
For example, Police-themed Ransomware..
Even the system’s MBR (Master Boot Record) is locked in the new version of some lockers. For your information, let me tell you that MBR is the section of Hard Drive which helps the Operating System to start.
And if there is no booting then the computer cannot start at all. And during this time some message screen flashes in which there is mention of giving money, for example Satana and Petya.
In all of these, Crypto-Ransomware is the most famous. A report has shown that most people in the world have been affected the most by this Ransomware.
How Ransomware Works ?
Here we will know how exactly this Ransomware works.
- First of all, the one who is targeted gets an email in which a malicious link is hidden, and if that user opens that link then a small program is automatically downloaded.
- Another way is that if the user is viewing a malicious website and downloads something about which he does not have any knowledge, even then Ransomware can enter your system from there.
- The downloader from which the user has downloaded that program is designed in such a way that it sends a request to a list of Domains or C&C Servers so that an advanced Ransomware program can be downloaded.
- After this the contacted C&C Servers respond and send the requested items.
- After that that malware starts its work and encrypts the entire disk such as personal files, some of your sensitive information and many more.
- And a pop up show in the screen that your data has been locked and a Decryption Key is needed to open it which can be found in exchange for money.
And that’s how they express their control over your system, and you can’t do anything.
Ransomware Spread Methods
Here we will know that how easily these attackers put these malwares in our system.
- Spam Emails, which mainly contain some attachments, by which these programs are downloaded.
- By using Vulnerable Software which does not have any Signature.
- By visiting such malicious websites in the Internet which are already infected.
- Malvertising Campaigns
- By downloading Unauthorized Apps, they enter in mobile.
- Self Propagation means that if a computer is already infected, then if any other system or any network will also come in contact with it, then it can also be infected.
How To Avoid Ransomware In Some Simple Ways
Let us now know about the methods using which you can avoid Ransomware :-
1. Keep track of your personal computer
- Do not keep your important data in PC
- Keep backup of your data as much as possible both online and offline
- Do not always turn on Online Backup by default, only turn it on when using it. Sync your data once a day.
- Always keep your software updated, even use the latest security updates.
- Do not use outdated softwares and plugins.
- Use Ad-Blocker to avoid unwanted malicious ads.
2. Focus on Online Behavior
- Do not open an email from any unfamiliar sender.
- Do not download attachments from Spam Emails.
- Do not click on the links of Malicious Website.
- Always use a good AntiVirus Program and update it from time to time.
I sincerely hope that I have given you complete information about what is Ransomware (What is Ransomware in Hindi) and I hope you people have understood about this new Cyber Threat. It has always been my endeavor that you should always be safe and always remember one thing that the best protection of data is Backup. Never forget to backup your data.